Built in 1836 by Jacques Telepoher Roman, brother of Andre Roman, twice governor of Louisiana. It was originally named Bon Sejour. Later the name changed because of the interest in the avenue of Oaks.
Oak Alley is in the Greek Revival style of plaster brick, 70 feet square, grided by 28 doric columns each eight feet in circumference. It sits on the Mississippi River in Vacherie, Louisiana.