Houmas House was once one of the great sugar plantations of Louisiana. The house is a two and half story brick structure with 14 columns rising on three of it's sides. On its roof is an enclosed cupola or watchtower and three handsome dormer windows
The house was built in 1840 by Col. John Preston Smith, of South Carolina, it was named for the plantation which in turn took its name from the Houmas Indians who once owned the land. John Burnside acquired Houmas House, including 10,000 acres in 1857.